Setting up dual insurance
You can set up dual insurance coverage using the Family File. To best learn how this process works, it is easiest to work through an example and add the following family (which can later be deleted after this practice example is completed):
· Dave Jenkins (stepfather, primary insured, guarantor)
· Diane Jenkins (natural mother, insured under Dave only)
· Susie Bradford (child, covd. primary-Dave, secondary-Matt)
· Matt Bradford (natural father, insures himself and is secondary for Susie)
To set up dual insurance where the stepfather is primary and the natural father is secondary
1. Add all family members, including the natural father, to the account. To avoid confusion, the natural father should be added with the Status set to Non-Patient, and with the family relationship listed as Other. Keep in mind also that Matt, the natural father, can have a separate address from the rest of the family.
2. In Dave’s Family File, double-click the Insurance Information block and enter Dave’s insurance information.
3. Display Matt’s file, and double-click Matt’s name at the bottom of the Family File. Double-click the Insurance Information block on Matt’s file and enter Matt’s insurance information.
Now, both Matt’s and Dave’s insurance is available to any family member listed in the Family Member list. Since Dave is primary for both Diane and Susie, his information needs to be added to their files.
4. In the Family File window, double-click Diane’s name in the Family Member list to display her file. Double-click the Insurance Information block and assign Dave’s insurance as the primary insurance. The Subscriber field defaults to Diane’s name, but Dave can easily be selected as the subscriber by clicking the search button to the right of Diane’s name.
5. Select Dave Jenkins, and then click OK.
Diane’s Insurance Information dialog box now displays Dave’s insurance information as her primary coverage.
6. Click OK in the Insurance Information dialog box to return to the Family File window.
To set up dual insurance for the child
Double-click Susie’s name in the Family Member list, and go through the same steps to add Dave’s insurance information as her primary coverage.
To add the secondary insurance
1. To add Susie's natural father’s insurance information as her secondary, under Secondary Insurance in the Insurance Information dialog box, click the Subscriber search button and then select Matt Bradford.
2. Click OK, and then click OK again in the Insurance Information dialog box to return to the Family File.
You have now successfully set the proper insurance information for each person on this account.