Creating alternate cases
Customizing the patient experience is a huge part of providing customer service. One way to give your patients options in their treatment is to use alternate cases in the Treatment Planner. You can create alternate cases for a treatment-planned procedure in order to provide the patient with multiple treatment options, such as root canal therapy and a crown, versus an extraction, an implant, and a crown. When you create an alternate case, it is linked to the original case as an alternative treatment option.
To create an alternate case
In the Treatment Planner, in the Treatment Plan Case Setup section on the Navigation panel, the default treatment plan folder ("Treatment Plan," if it has not been renamed) currently includes all of the possible treatment options that are not already assigned to a case. Use one of the following methods to create an alternate case:
· To create an alternate case if each case has different treatment options, do the following:
1. Create a folder for the alternate case (such as "Extraction and Implant").
2. Select the procedures in the default treatment plan folder that need to be moved to the alternate case folder. Then, drag those procedures to the alternate case.
3. Rename the default treatment plan folder to be more descriptive (such as "Root Canal and Crown").
· To create an alternate case if the cases have one or more treatment options in common, do the following:
1. Select the default treatment plan folder (or any case folder).
2. Right-click that case, and then click Create Alternate Case.
The Create Alternate Case dialog box appears.
3. The case selected in the Create Alternate Case For list is the case that will be flagged as the recommended case. If you do not want that case to be the recommended one, you can select a different case while in this dialog box, or you can change the recommended case later.
4. In the Name of Alternate Case text field, type a name for the alternate case (such as "Extraction and Implant").
5. Leave the check boxes selected for the procedures that need to be completed regardless of which of the other treatment options the patient chooses. Deselect the others.
For example, a restoration (such as a three-surface composite filling) may need to be placed on a tooth regardless of whether the patient chooses to have a crown or an implant on a different tooth.
6. Click OK to create the alternate case, which is linked to the original (recommended) case. (The recommended case will appear in the Patient Chart.)
7. Select the procedures in the default treatment plan folder that need to be moved to the alternate case folder. Then, drag those procedures to the alternate case.
8. Rename the default treatment plan folder to be more descriptive (such as "Root Canal and Crown").