Billing statements provide guarantor's with a record of their financial transactions with the practice.
Printer-generated billing statements can save you the cost of pre-printed forms without losing the professional look of pre-printed forms. If you intend to use pre-printed forms, be sure to purchase forms that are supported by Dentrix Enterprise.
Before you print billing statements, in the Practice Defaults, indicate which billing statement form will be used. You can also, set up the option to print the central office, clinic, provider, or custom information on the billing statements.
To generate billing statements
1. In the Office Manager, from the Reports menu, click Billing.
The Billing Statements dialog box appears.
2. Set up the following options:
· Statement Date - This date is used as the cutoff date for the statements. All statement calculations will be as of the date entered in this field.
· Balance Forward Date - The total of all outstanding procedures posted will be calculated as of this date. The total balance forward amount will show on statements rather than an itemization of procedures from a previous statement.
· Select Guarantor - Click the search buttons to select the range of guarantors for whom you want to generate statements. Or, leave From <ALL> To <ALL> selected to include all guarantors.
· Run Report - You have two options for how you want to generate statements:
· By Provider - To generate statements by provider, select by Provider, and then click the search buttons to select a range of providers to generate statements for those providers' patients. Or, leave From <ALL> To <ALL> selected to include patients for all providers.
· By Clinic - To generate statements by clinic, select by Clinic, and then click the search button to select the clinics that have the patients for whom you want to generate statements. Or, select the All check box to include patients in all clinics.
· Select Billing Type - Click the search button to select the billing types of patients for whom you want to generate statements. Or, select the All check box to include patients with any billing type.
· Minimum Balance to Bill - Type an amount to generate statements for patients who have a balance equal to or greater than that amount. The default is .01 and will generate statements for patients who have a balance of at least one cent.
· Include Credit Balances? - Select this option if you want to generate statements for patients who have a credit balance.
· Statement Message - If you want to print a message (such as one of the examples provided below) at the bottom of each statement, type that message in the box. This box is available only if the Use same Statement Message for all check box is selected; in which case, this message will be the default message either on statements generated from this computer or on statements generated for all clinics from any computer (depending on whether the Use log-on clinic settings for all statements check box is clear or selected). Also, you can click the Check Spelling button to check the spelling of the message text (this button is available only if a certain preference setting has been enabled). Changes to the message will not be saved unless the Save As Default check box is selected when you click OK.
· "Insurance Estimates ('Ins. Est.') and 'Please Pay' amounts based on insurance estimates are provided as a courtesy. In the event that your insurance carrier pays less than the estimated amount, you are responsible for the unpaid balance."
· "All payments are due on or before the 5th day of the month."
Tip: A customized billing statement note can be entered for any individual guarantor from the Guarantor Note in the Ledger.
· Use same Statement Message for all - To use the same message on statements sent to patients of any clinic, select this check box. To use the custom message specified for a given clinic on statements that are sent to patients of that clinic. If the clinic does not have a custom message specified, no message will appear on the statements that are sent to patients of that clinic.
· Options - Select the options you want to use to determine which accounts will receive a bill and what to include on the statements:
· Skip Accounts with Claim Pending - Select this option if you want to skip an account if the patient has any outstanding claims for which the guarantor portion of the balance is less than the dollar amount in the If Patient Portion Less Than field.
· Procedures With Claims Pending
· Current - Click this option if you want to print procedures posted in the current month for which a claim has been created and is still pending (not received)
· All - Click this option if you want to print all procedures posted for which a claim has been created and is still pending (not received)
· None - Click this option if you want to exclude all procedures for which there is still a claim pending.
· Print Insurance Estimate - Select this option if you want to include, on each statement, the amount that dental insurance is estimated to pay on pending claims.
· Print Agreed Payment - Select this option if you want to have each statement display a box labeled "Please Pay This Amount," which reflects the patient portion of the balance. If a payment agreement has been set up, the payment amount required for that time period will print instead.
If you want to have the "Please Pay" amount exclude the entire amount that has been billed to insurance on a pending claim, even if some of it is patient portion, select Exclude Outstanding to Insurance. The patient portion of the claim will only appear on a statement after the claim has been paid by insurance.
· Print Practice Information - Select this option if you are using a pre-printed form and your practice information is not already printed on the form. This option is unavailable if the Full Form/Download Form has been selected as the default billing statement in Practice Defaults; the practice information will print automatically.
· Print Account Aging - Select this option if you want to include an aging summary on the statements that are formatted to allow report aging. This option is unavailable unless the Full Form/Download Form has been selected as the default billing statement in Practice Defaults.
· Allow Credit Card Payment - Select this option if you want to include credit card payment options on the statement. This option is unavailable unless the Full Form/Download form has been selected as the default billing statement in Practice Defaults.
· If Not Billed Since - Select this option if you want to type a date to skip patients for whom a billing statement has already been printed since the date specified (the date you type is compared to the last statement date as displayed in each account's Ledger). The default date is one month prior to the current system date.
This option works well for practices that print billing statements from the Ledger when an insurance payment is received for an account. Cyclical billing can be utilized as statements are printed for individual accounts throughout the month and then printed from the Office Manager in a batch to ensure that each account has received a statement for the month.
· Only Bill Accounts Aging - Select this option if you want to print statements for patients whose balance is equal to or older than the aging selected: Over 30, Over 60, or Over 90.
· Select Report Types - Select the desired report types:
· Billing Statement - This option will print a statement for all guarantors who fall within the specified parameters.
· Mailing Labels - To print mailing labels with each guarantor's name and address, select this option, and then enter the number of Columns of labels your label sheets have on them.
· Use log-on clinic settings for all statements - To apply the current settings specified for this clinic to all clinics, select this check box. Use this option if you want everyone to have the same default statement settings for all clinics while logged on to any computer. You must click OK with the Save As Default check box selected to update the default settings for all clinics.
· Save As Default - If you print statements using the same charges and options each time, select this check box to save the current settings for the next time you generate statements from this computer (or from any computer if the Use log-on clinic settings for all statements check box is selected). You must click OK with this check box selected to update the default settings.
3. Click OK to send the billing statements to the Batch Processor.