Scheduling appointments for existing patients
You can schedule appointments for your patients of record. You can schedule an appointment for any procedure codes and for treatment-planned procedures.
To quickly schedule an appointment
1. In the Appointment Book, use the find appointment utility to find an available appointment time; or, if you are already viewing the correct date, double-click an open time slot in an operatory.
The Select Patient dialog box appears.
2. Select a patient.
The New Appointment Information dialog box appears.
3. By default, Dentrix Enterprise populates the Provider field with the patient's primary provider. You can change the provider for the appointment as needed:
a. Click the Provider search button .
The Select Provider dialog box appears.
b. To search for a provider by an ID or a Last Name, type all or part of it, and then click the search button to view the matches.
c. By default, the providers assigned to the View currently being used in the Appointment Book appear in the list. To view the providers of the clinic you are currently logged in to, select Clinic. If Auto list is selected, the list will be updated automatically as you change the selection under Providers in.
d. Select the desired provider.
e. Click Select.
4. If an encounter number is required, click the ENC# search button , select the appropriate number, and then click OK. The encounter number may be automatically populated and/or the search button may not be available depending on a certain global setting.
5. Select the reasons for the appointment:
· Initial - The initial reasons are the most common procedures that your office performs, typically for initial and recurring visits, such as exams and cleanings. To select the appointment reasons, click Initial. The Select Initial Reasons dialog box appears. Select one or more reasons, and then click OK.
Note: If any of the selected procedures corresponds to a continuing care type that is not attached to the patient's record, and the Use Reason to Auto Update CC check box is selected, a message appears and asks if you want to attach the missing continuing care to the patient's record using the default settings. Click Yes to attach the continuing care to the patient's Family File.
· Tx - If the patient is going to be seen for treatment-planned work, click Tx. The Treatment Plan dialog box appears. Select the desired procedures, and then click Close.
Note: If the procedure is not listed, to add one or more treatment-planned procedures, which you can attach to this appointment, click New Tx, and then post the desired procedures. (The procedures will be added to the patient's default treatment plan case.)
· Misc. - To select a specific procedure code as the appointment reason, click Misc. The Procedure Codes dialog box appears. Select a procedure code Category to see a list of the corresponding procedure codes. Select the desired procedure code, and then click OK.
5. Dentrix Enterprise updates the Appointment Desc automatically as you add an appointment Reason. You can change the description as needed.
6. Dentrix Enterprise updates the appointment Length automatically as you add an appointment Reason. If more or less time is needed to complete the appointment, you can change the length of time:
a. Click the Length search button .
The Appointment Time Pattern dialog box appears.
b. Drag the slider to change the number of time units needed to complete the procedure. One unit is equal to the time block size specified when setting up the clinic in the Appointment Book. Clicking the right arrow will add a unit, and clicking the left arrow will subtract a unit.
c. The white box below each unit you add defaults to an X. You can click the box or any of the other boxes to change what appears inside it. The status of the box represents who is providing care to the patient during the procedure:
An X represents the provider's time.
A single slash represents the assistant's time.
Blank represents chair time.
Tip: You can use these assignments to help you maximize your productivity and the use of all operatories.
d. Click OK.
7. Dentrix Enterprise updates the Amount as you add an appointment Reason. You can change the amount as needed.
8. To select the staff member who will assist with this appointment, do the following:
a. Click the Staff search button .
The Select Staff dialog box appears.
b. Select the desired staff member.
Note: If the staff member is not listed, to add them to this clinic, click Add new staff.
c. Click Select.
9. Leave the Status set to "<none>".
10. You can categorize appointments into three groups. From the Schedule list, select one of the following options:
· FIXED - A fixed appointment indicates that the patient has an inflexible schedule and can only be seen at the scheduled time. This is the default selection.
· OPEN - An open appointment indicates that the patient is willing to change the date and time of the appointment if necessary. You cannot add a patient to the Open List without first assigning them an appointment time. This ensures that the patient is seen whether or not the office has an opening before the scheduled date.
· ASAP - An ASAP appointment indicates that the patient want to be seen earlier if an appointment time becomes available. You cannot add a patient to the ASAP List without first assigning them an appointment time. This ensures that the patient is seen whether or not the office has an opening before the scheduled date.
11. You can classify appointments according to the amount of production they will generate. Dentrix Enterprise can update the production Type as you add an appointment Reason. You can select a different production type (as defined in the Practice Definitions) or "<none>."
12. Dentrix Enterprise inserts the operatory, date, and time for the appointment that corresponds to the time slot where you double-clicked to begin scheduling this appointment. You can change the Op, Date, and/or Time as needed.
· To find an available appointment time using the find appointment tool, click Find.
· To move the appointment to the Pinboard, so you can manually find an available appointment time, click Pin Board.
13. To select an operatory, do the following:
a. Click the Op search button .
The Select Operatory dialog box appears.
b. Select the desired operatory.
c. By default, the operatories assigned to the View currently being used in the Appointment Book appear in the list. To view the operatories of the clinic you are currently logged in to, select Clinic.
d. Select the desired provider.
Note: If the operatory is not listed, to add it to this clinic, click Add new Ops.
e. Click Select.
14. To select a date, do the following:
a. Click the Date search button .
The Select Date dialog box appears.
b. Scroll to navigate to the desired month, and then select the desired date.
c. Click OK.
15. To select a time, do the following::
a. Click the Time search button .
The Select Time dialog box appears.
b. To change the time, click the left arrow button to decrease the time or the right arrow button to increase the time. Click between the slider and the left arrow to decrease the time one hour at a time. Click between the slider and the right arrow to increase the time one hour at a time.
c. Click OK.
16. You can attach important information directly to an appointment. Appointment notes usually reference special situations that your office should be aware of before seeing the patient. If clarification is needed or to add other details about the appointment, type a Note.
· To add a date and time stamp to the note where the text cursor is currently positioned, click Insert Dateline.
· To insert a blank line or start a new line, while pressing Ctrl, press Enter. Pressing Enter alone closes the Appointment Information dialog box.
Note: An appointment with a note has a blue musical note symbol in the upper-right corner.
17. If you have pulled the patient's paper chart, select Chart Pulled. Also, you can select any of the check boxes at the bottom of the dialog box as needed.
Note: You can customize the check list items in the Practice Definitions.
18. Use the following options to add, edit, or view additional information pertaining to the patient:
· Patient Info - Click to open the patient's Family File. You can verify and edit patient information as needed. To return to the appointment, click the Appointment Book button on the Family File toolbar.
· Other Appt(s) - Click to view the family appointment list. For more information on using this list, see the topic about locating existing appointments.
Note: You can also open the Family Appointment List dialog box by right-clicking an appointment and then clicking Other Appointments.
· Ins Claim Info - Click this button to set the default dental claim information for all dental insurance claims created for this patient and the default medical claim information for all medical insurance claims created for this patient.
Note: You can also open the Insurance Claim Information dialog box by right-clicking an appointment and then clicking Info for Insurance.
Note: Dentrix Enterprise will use the saved changes for future insurance claims.
· Sched. Next - If a patient will be seeing two separate providers during a visit, click this button to quickly generate a second appointment for the patient that directly follows the current appointment.
· Wait/Will Call - If after entering appointment information, the patient cannot decide on an appointment date and time, click this button to move the appointment to the Unscheduled List. When the patient is ready to schedule, the appointment can be taken from the list and scheduled at the appropriate time without having to re-enter the information.
19. Click OK.